Friday, July 9, 2010

9: Some thoughts...

So, I'm still hurting but its mostly in the leg. My arm still hurts when I stretch it out straight all the way but I've got a bit of a grip now! Enough to hold a pencil and write/draw lightly. I'm pretty happy about that. I'm going to try drawing with a brush today because I can make dark lines without applying any pressure that way.

I have to call up the Dr. too to see about those x-rays. I'm hoping they come out normal....she said something about a high risk for blood clots, possible pinched nerves and hairline fractures. *gulp*

The hardest thing right now is stopping myself from picking at the scabs on my contusions. They just sit there....itching for me to poke and peel them. That really just makes it worse. LOL I'm hoping they don't scar.

I am a little bummed today. Habib (my Gallery and Design teacher from last Semester who runs his own art gallery) keeps sending me the schedule for this month's 30 days of one-night art shows. I had planned on going to see all 30 of them since the gallery is so close to where I live. From pictures I'm seeing, they look so great. I hate that this summer is pretty much all fucked up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever I get sad, I like to dream up what my perfect studio-space would be like. I like to go as wild and crazy because....hey...dreams don't cost a thing!

I'd rent one of those huge abandoned and converted warehouses in the industrial downtown Los Angeles areas. There are tons of them being used as collective artist studios. I rent/buy one and have it set up inside so there would be a bunch of loft-style studios with an open central lobby. This lobby I'd use as an Art Gallery space to show local independent artists who would normally not be given the time of day by bigger Galleries.

I'd rent out the other studio-spaces (or share the rent) to other artists....maybe even some of my friends! Each space would have a large open area with huge windows, cement floors and brick walls so we can make a mess without having to worry about it. Then there would be a ladder/stairs leading to an upper loft-style area which would be carpeted or covered in rugs. This could be a sleeping area for those who wanted to live where they worked or just a storage space.

As far as kitchens and plumbing, preferably each space would have their own but the ones I've seen typically have a shared kitchen and bathroom. Maybe its the only way to do it in this type of building? I really wouldn't mind, though. I'd have a mini-fridge in my loft for my stuff and just cook it in the kitchen.

I just think it would be so cool to live around other working artists, to be able to talk and share ideas, hang out around people who are doing and creating. Hmmm...I wonder if Micah would be up for living like this?

3 comments:

  1. That seems like a great idea! And of course, it's always great to dream about good things when you feel bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that I'm not the only one who designs awesome commune-type art studios. I've told my wife before: there's a huge abandoned factory complex a few towns over that I'd love to buy and renovate as studio and gallery space. There's just one problem: the factory manufactured cleaning products and the site is now registered with the state as toxic. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pfffffft! Toxic chemicals are no match against some art materials! lol That would be so cool...I'd move there and rent a space from you!

    ReplyDelete