Monday, July 5, 2010

7: Public Restrooms and how people are dicks

We went out into public for the first time since the accident. My grandma came to visit from Chicago and my mom asked if I felt well enough to take grandma out to lunch. I figure I'll be out at the Dr's anyway, what's a quick detour to a sit-down restaurant before heading home.

The restaurant itself was quite nice. The service was really quick and gracious, the food was pretty good and it was really nice hanging out with Grandma. We don't get to see her much so its a real treat when she's in town.

What sucked was walking around on my crutches. Its really the only way I can walk at all but I don't think people realize that. Its kinda of this wierd thing...when we see people walking on crutches, we expect a cast or at least a bandage wrap of some sort...something to signify that the person has a reason to be using crutches. A sign that tells people "Hey. Be nice to this person, they're hurt."

I had dressed up nicely since its been a long time since I've been out and I was feeling pretty happy about it, plus its not often we get to go out with grandma. I wore a simple but pretty black dress, loose enough to let me move around in comfortably and use the rest-room easily if necessary. I got some lipstick on (I miss doing make up and going out everyday!!!) and some pretty new earrings. The dress was long enough to cover my swollen and unshaven (ew!) legs.

I guess it looked like I wasn't really hurt. I was really shocked at how rude people were to me. When we got to the doors of the restaurant, there was a couple that got there at around the same time. They didn't open the door for me, just kinda stood there and watched. My dad came up and opened the door and it took me a little while to get in since it was kinda narrow. I could hear them huffing and tapping their feet behind me.

During the meal, I had to go to the restroom. Unfortunately, I had to trek through the middle of the dining room to get there. The entire trip there, I could feel people staring at me. I mean, I don't care when kids do it, they don't really know any better. But it was really wierd for the adults who just...stared at me the entire trip. It felt....I dunno. I felt like a spectacle. When I got to the restroom, there was another lady waiting, the normal stall and the disabled stall were taken. We waited for just a bit then the disabled stall opened up. The lady in front of me immediately went into it. The normal stall opened up after and I went in.

It was so cramped, I could barely get my entire self in there, let alone turn around so I could sit. So I walked out and waited till the lady came out of the disabled stall. I have to say...I've never before appreciated those disabled stalls until I needed it today. There's so much space, and the handles are so useful for getting around.

Walking back through the dining room to get to our table sucked too. I dunno...I really didn't expect people to be such dicks. At least we left soon after. It was just a real wierd experience....I dunno, I think I'm just gonna hide in bed for the next few weeks until I'm better. Its really lonely and depressing, but at least I dont have people staring at me like I'm a wierdo. Plus, my leg and foot are extra swollen from all the walking I did. It wasn't much but definitely more than I normally do. Having the Dr. poke at everything didn't help either. LOL

The good part of today was that Micah came over and brought me goodies! He made bacon soup (so yummmmmy!) and brought presents. I got huge purple butterfly earrings and a pair of really cool gloves. I'm too tired to take pictures tonight but first thing tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, really, people have to be rude and stare at someone cause they have crutches? Fucking ignorant people!

    I'm glad that at least you had a nice time with your grandma!

    ReplyDelete