Sunday, July 11, 2010

11: Allen Duffy's Song and other thoughts

So, Allen Duffy officially rocks my socks. How? He pre-ordered my book, OMGcow: The First Year! I have to be honest, when I first wrote up the post about fund-raising to see RENT, I didn't really think anyone would take me up on it. To my utter shock, a whole lot of love has come my way. Two amazing friends have ordered custom paintings, as well as pre-ordered some stuff. When the messages came in and the e-mail confirmation from Allen dinged on my phone, I seriously started crying.

I think I'm mostly overwhelmed because I don't have the biggest opinion of my own work. I always think "if only I could draw better" or "I need to write better stories" or other thoughts along those lines. I worry that people see my work and think I'm just another hack wannabe with mediocre comics on Blogger. To see actual quantifiable proof that there are people who like my work enough to buy it is...just amazing.

It also resulted in this. A "Thank You" song for Allen Duffy since my hand isn't well enough yet to do a Thank you drawing. You can view it here or on Facebook.



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also spoke to April Nash today which is always such a treat! I've always thought she was the sweetest person ever on her comic and her comments, but it still surprises me that we have such an easy time chatting. Seriously, talking to her isn't at all awkward or stunted or any of that stuff you'd expect from two people who have never met and live on separate countries and have entire timezones in between.

Also, she totally geeked out with me over musical theater, Batman comics and digital printing companies!!! Hahah!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is going to sound weird...but I took a shower today for the first time since the accident! It felt soooooo amazing. Don't get me wrong, I would take sponge baths and change clothes everyday so I was relatively clean....but its nowhere near the same as an actual shower. This is the first time I'm actually felt really HAPPY since the accident.

My family even forced me to go out to a restaurant for lunch where it was super crowded and people were really rude and wouldn't move out of the way for me....but I didn't let it get me down. It was hurtful the way they stared at me but I was just like..."whatever." I can't make them stop but I don't have to pay attention to their dumb ass.

2 comments:

  1. You and April are like two sisters separated at birth. It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for loads of pre-orders!! =D
    And yay for feeling better and those rude stupid people should go SOD OFF!!
    *huggles*

    ReplyDelete