Tuesday, August 31, 2010

35: Self portrait hw

For homework was a figure drawing assignment. I couldn't get anyone to model for me...but I do have a full-length mirror in my room.

Normally in Life Drawing class, we are not allowed to have our phones or cameras out. (Understandably  and rightfully so.) Unfortunately, I am not able to take in-progress shots. Since the model this time is myself, I figured I'd take the opportunity.

I started with vine charcoal. Just loose gesture drawings, trying to get the main masses down -- the head, ribcage and pelvis. Fleshed those out then added in the furniture.


First off, I realized the head was way too small. The left arm was too long, so that got shortened. The neck given a little more fleshing and the left leg fixed up. The boobs were also kind of lop-sided....fixed that! Just minor changes. Once I was satisfied with the over-all proportion, I went back in with a harder charcoal stick for the outlines. Defined the right arm a bit more, as well as the right knee.



Left the head pretty much un-touched for now. Started putting in some mid-tone shadows.


Finished! I wasn't sure about drawing in the face but I figured I might as well. I decided to leave the furniture lighter and more unfinished to keep the figure as the focal point.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! I remember drawing myself naked for life drawing classes. Always kind of an awkward experience. You did a really nice job, though. Thanks for the peek at your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is pretty awkward. The entire time, I was worried I'd accidentally get charcoal in....places. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) this is awesome! You are much braver than I! (I copped out of showing everyone my boobs!) sexy! (And interesting!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, big kudos on drawing yourself naked and showing it off! And you do look super sexy, btw!

    And you also did a great job on the drawing!

    ReplyDelete