Saturday, August 7, 2010

23: I'm a chatterbox today

I'm not gonna lie. Tumblr seems to bring out the hipster in me. Haha! Whenever I try to think of a name, I come  up with the fluffiest aesthetically-inclined-yet-devoid-of-content stuff. So far, I've got:

* FromMyHands
* FingerScribbles
* Stuffiate (already taken)
* Stuffidrew (most likely what I will go with)
* Whatiate (also taken)
* Lookatthisfuckingdrawing (can you tell I was getting frustrated at this point?)

Why aren't I going with something simple like my name or Sheikasaurus Rex? I think its the anonymity. I've begun and abruptly left behind many blogs in the past. If this one ends up on the scrap pile, it won't have my name attached to it. There will be no dredging up of old forgotten works, comments and photos.

Unlike others I know, I'm not bogged down by the idea of "Oh, just another thing thing to log in to and keep track of." I am endlessly fascinated by new blogging platforms, social networks and forums. Couple this with a need to ramble on random topics and I'm left with a long trail of abandoned accounts.

I think what appeals to me most about Tumblr is the very same thing that I love about Blogger: the connected-ness (Yes Matt, it is so totally a word!). The ability to re-blog something (similar to re-tweeting an interesting post or link) and to "Follow" blogs by others. I've been finding some amazing Tumblr blogs lately (Tumblogs?) that I want to bookmark and comment to but I can't. Best of all, is the community Tumblogs. These are blogs with a theme (like Eat. Sleep. Draw and Fuck Yeah Moleskins) where you can submit your posts to a pool of others' posts. Similar to Flickr groups but more accessible, I think.

Some favorites so far:

* Indistinguishable from Magic. A Tumblog by Aaron Diaz (webcomicker, creator of Dresden Codack) where he shares sketches, drawing demonstrations and really interesting comic tips. http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com

* P.S. I made this. A Tumblog where the writer looks to fashion magazines for the latest expensive clothes/styles/accessories and makes it out of the simplest things (ex. paper towel tubes, plastic bottles, ribbon, duct tape etc.) She's practically the McGuyver of fashion and DIY! (Did that reference just age me? Yes. I loved watching McGuyver as a kid. Shaddup!)
http://psimadethis.com

* Lunch Bag Art and Lunch Bag Dad. These two dads pack a brown-bag lunch for their children everyday and turn them into amazing drawings/paintings. I would have loved something like this as a kid.
http://lunchbagart.tumblr.com and http://lunchbagdad.tumblr.com

* Fuck Yeah Moleskins. A collection of peoples' moleskin sketchbooks.
http://fuckyeahmoleskines.tumblr.com

* Eat. Sleep. Draw. A drawing/art tumblog open to all.
http://eatsleepdraw.com

+ The hundreds of inspirational Tumblogs. I end up clicking through hundreds of peoples' blogs in the space of a few minutes so its hard to find just one or two.

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting... I might end up having to make one, though I'm one of them "not another thing to sign in" ;)

    ReplyDelete