Saturday, April 23, 2011

Makeshift bedroom studio

Back home in Long Beach, I have a whole garage to use as a studio. I usually leave all my supplies sprawled out in a fit of creative mess. Unfortunately, visiting Micah usually means sharing his 100 sq. ft. bedroom.

Here's my set-up:


Yay natural day-light! I have my sketchbook or tablet on the bed and a small table in front. Under the laptop is a printer-scanner. To the right on the floor is a tub of all my sketchbook and art supplies. I keep my pens and brushes in a tin so I just reach down for them as needed.

Here is my studio in a tub:

Studio in a tub


Contents of tub from top to bottom:

1. Paper sacks full of finished comic pages sandwiched between cardboard (for safekeeping.)
2. Pad of 9x12 watercolor paper
3. Pad of 9x12 bristol paper
4. Packs of cardstock paper. White, purple, green and blue (used for mini-comic covers.)
5. Sketchbooks (5 total)
6. Business ledger
7. Packing tape
8. Tin of watercolor pencils, watercolor tube paints and ink
9. Stapler
10. Tin of brushes, pencils, pens, markers etc
11. Can of fixative spray
12. Plastic pallettes

On the left:
1. Paint rag
2. Watercolor pan

On the right:
1. Envelopes, bubble mailers, boxes etc. For shipping orders.
2. Ruler
3. Travel-sized watercolor kit (from April Nash!)
4. Pencil box full of wires, xacto knife, box-cutter, pliers, scissors.


And here's it all put away! I tried to be as compact as possible otherwise there's barely any room to walk through:

Bedroom art studio 1

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's way to make the most of the space indeed!

    ReplyDelete